It's A Family Wedding Dress...But You Just Won't Wear It In Your Wedding
The situation is less than ideal: You have a family wedding dress handed down to you, but you can’t wear it. Either it’s too badly damaged to be restored, too small, out of date or you simply just…hate it. Yet it also represents someone that you love, and you don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings by refusing to use it. Many brides wonder what they can do with a wedding dress they can’t use.
Do You Dare Not Wear It?
So you just don't want to wear the wedding dress handed down from Mom, an Aunt, your sister or even your Mother-In-Law. It can be stressful telling someone that you’re not going to wear it. You don’t have to say that you don’t like it, but it can still feel like a major rejection. While you don’t want to ruffle feathers and have people offended and upset, the truth is that this day is yours.
Since it’s your day and no one else’s, you have total creative control – and you can use it to appease everyone and still have a fantastic wedding full of mementos of those you love. For example, you could display that family wedding gown at your bridal shower, the rehearsal dinner or even your reception.
What Else Can You Do With A Wedding Dress?
Fortunately, we have a list for you! If you’re the creative sort and there are no sentimental reasons for keeping this dress, here are some possible uses for it.
- Having a ring bearer in your ceremony? Why not make the pillow out of pieces of this wedding dress?
- Or maybe your own dress needs a little more decoration, so use the lace!
- Pieces of a wedding dress can be utilized to wrap around bouquets for easy holding or even made into a flower girl’s dress.
- We’ve also seen the grandmothers of the bride and groom work together using the wedding dress to make into a special quilt for the new family.
- A new trend is to make a christening gown from a wedding dress. Some christening ceremonies can be pretty formal. But even if yours isn’t, the baby can still be decked to the nines!
How To Keep Your Options Open
If you want to have these choices with your wedding dress, you need to clean it after your wedding. And if you’re not sure what you are going to do with your dress years into the future, then clean and preserve it so you will have more options later.
Protect Your Wedding Dress In Birmingham, Alabama Before Your Wedding With Our Gown Protection Plan. For only $75.00 we'll press your dress and help you keep it looking great for your wedding.
Learn about our Gown Protection Plan here.